2007 Futures Game
Played on July 8, 2007, at AT&T Park, the 2007 Futures Game is the 9th edition of the Futures Game. The World won, 7-2, to close the all-time record to US 5, World 4. Rick Vanden Hurk got the start and the win for the World team, which scored almost all the needed runs in the first. Against Jeff Niemann, leadoff man and CF Michael Saunders got on board thanks to a fielding error by 2B Chris Coghlan. Saunders swiped second against Bryan Anderson, then scored on a double by SS Chin-Lung Hu. Hu stole third and came in on a sacrifice fly by 1B Joey Votto.
In the third, the World got the decisive run as Saunders and Hu struck again. Joba Chamberlain walked Saunders, who again stole second, followed by a Hu RBI single. In the bottom of the frame, US CF Justin Upton homered against Fautino De Los Santos to close the gap to 3-1. An inning later, DH Max Ramirez doubled to start the inning and came around to score for a 4-1 edge for the World. In the 5th, Deolis Guerra served up a gopher ball to 3B John Whittleman for a 4-2 game. Votto greeted new pitcher Clay Buchholz with a homer to start the sixth and James Van Ostrand added another homer the next inning. A Wladimir Balentien double drove in the final tally in the 7-2 victory.
Hu won the Larry Doby Award thanks to his 2-for-2, 2 RBI, one run, one steal day. Niemann took the loss for the USA.
- P: Collin Balester, Clay Buchholz, Joba Chamberlain, Matt Garza, Luke Hochevar, Clayton Kershaw, Chuck Lofgren, Michael Madsen, Kevin Mulvey, Jeff Niemann, Garrett Olson
- C: Bryan Anderson, J.R. Towles
- IF: Brian Bocock, Adrian Cardenas, Chris Coghlan, Brent Lillibridge, Evan Longoria, Steve Pearce, Ian Stewart, Matt Tolbert, John Whittleman
- OF: Jay Bruce, Cameron Maybin, Colby Rasmus, Justin Upton
- P: Pedro Beato, Carlos Carrasco, Fautino de los Santos, Emiliano Fruto, Deolis Guerra, Serguey Linares, Franklin Morales, Henry Sosa, Rich Thompson, Rick Vanden Hurk
- C: Robinzon Diaz, Max Ramirez
- IF: Elvis Andrus, German Duran, Alcides Escobar, Chin-Lung Hu, Freddy Sandoval, Geovany Soto, Craig Stansberry, Joey Votto
- OF: Wladimir Balentien, Carlos Gonzalez, Gorkys Hernandez, Fernando Martinez, Michael Saunders, James Van Ostrand