2006 Futures Game
Played on July 9, 2006, at PNC Park, the 2006 Futures Game was one of the highest-scoring affairs to date, as the USA won 8-5. USA LF Billy Butler went 2 for 3 with a homer and won the Larry Doby Award as the game's top star; other contributors for the USA were 1B Joe Koshansky (1 for 3, 2-run HR) and 3B Alex Gordon (2 for 3, 2 RBI, double). Davis Romero allowed five of the USA runs in 2/3 of an inning of work while José García allowed two runs in one inning for the loss. The USA got balanced pitching except for Philip Hughes (3 runs in one inning); Homer Bailey got the win despite giving one up. World catcher George Kottaras doubled and homered, scoring twice and driving in two, in two at-bats, while teammate Wladimir Balentien went 2 for 3 with a run, two RBI and a double.
- P: Nick Adenhart, Homer Bailey, Gio Gonzalez, Jason Hirsh, Philip Hughes, Eric Hurley, Matt Lindstrom, Nick Pereira, Josh Sharpless
- C: Kurt Suzuki, Neil Walker
- IF: Ryan Braun, Stephen Drew, Josh Fields, Alex Gordon, Howie Kendrick, Joe Koshansky, Eric Patterson, Troy Tulowitzki
- OF: Travis Buck, Billy Butler, Cameron Maybin, Hunter Pence, Nolan Reimold
- P: Carlos Carrasco, Yovani Gallardo, Jaime García, José García, Radhames Liz, Edgar Martinez, Davis Romero, Jae-kuk Ryu, Juan Salas, Humberto Sánchez
- C: George Kottaras, Salomon Manriquez
- IF: Joaquín Arias, Yung-Chi Chen, Luis Cruz, Yunel Escobar, Anderson Gomes, Joel Guzmán, Chin-Lung Hu, Pablo Sandoval, Joey Votto
- OF: Wladimir Balentien, Carlos Gonzalez, Trent Oeltjen, Jose Tabata
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.