2008 Futures Game
The 2008 Futures Game was played on July 11, 2008 at Yankee Stadium. The 10th Futures Game, it was the second in a row won by the World team to even the all-time standings at 5-5. The third shutout (all three by the World) in Futures Game history, it was the first Futures Game to go a full 9 innings rather than seven. The Larry Doby Award winner as MVP was World CF Che-Hsuan Lin, the second Taiwan native in a row to win that honor. The event was billed as the Olympic trials for Team USA.
The World team got on the board in the first. 2B Iván DeJesús Jr. opened with a single to left against Clayton Richard. SS Elvis Andrus grounded into what could have been a double play but SS Jason Donald made a throwing error, allowing Andrus to reach second base. After a steal by Andrus and a walk to Wilkin Ramirez, 1B Pablo Sandoval hit into a run-scoring force.
From there, the World team pitching staff took charge as Carlos Carrasco, Polin Trinidad, Hector Rondon, Eduardo Morlan, Julio Pimentel, Jesus Delgado, Fernando Salas, Henry Rodríguez and Shairon Martis combined on a 3-hit shutout of the USA.
The World got insurance in the 7th when Lin homered off of Ryan Mattheus with Scott Campbell aboard. Carrasco got the win, Martis the save and Richard the loss. DeJesús had 2 hits and a walk in 4 plate appearances for the World; the US was led by Mat Gamel (2 BB) and Wes Hodges (a double).
- P: Brett Anderson, Jake Arrieta, Trevor Cahill, Will Inman, Kevin Jepsen, Ryan Mattheus, Kevin Pucetas, Clayton Richard, Jess Todd, Casey Weathers
- C: Bryan Anderson, Lou Marson, Taylor Teagarden
- IF: Jamie D'Antona, Jason Donald, Mat Gamel, Chris Getz, Wes Hodges, Matt LaPorta, Cliff Pennington, Chris Valaika
- OF: Dexter Fowler, Greg Golson, Andrew McCutchen, Nate Schierholtz, Denard Span
- P: Phillippe Aumont, Carlos Carrasco, Jesus Delgado, Shairon Martis, Julio Pimentel, Henry Rodriguez, Hector Rondon, Fernando Salas, Polin Trinidad
- C: Welington Castillo, Jesus Montero, Max Ramirez
- IF: Elvis Andrus, Scott Campbell, Iván DeJesús Jr., Juan Francisco, Luke Hughes, Eddie Morlan, Ramiro Peña, Angel Villalona
- OF: Gorkys Hernandez, Che-Hsuan Lin, Fernando Martinez, Gerardo Parra, Wilkin Ramirez