2008 Chicago Cubs
(Redirected from 2008 Cubs)
2008 Chicago Cubs / Franchise: Chicago Cubs / BR Team Page
Managed by Lou Piniella
History, Comments, Contributions
On April 23, the 2008 Chicago Cubs became the second franchise in MLB history to reach 10,000 wins, following the New York/San Francisco Giants. Ryan Theriot hit a 10th-inning single off of Kip Wells to drive in Mike Fontenot with the winning run in the 10,000th win. Kerry Wood got the victory and Carlos Marmol the save.
The Cubs were 36-21 entering June, the first time a Cubs team had the best record in Major League Baseball at that point in the season since the 1908 Cubs, the last Cubs team to have won a World Series.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Ryan Dempster, Kosuke Fukudome, Carlos Marmol, Aramis Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, Geovany Soto, Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano
- NL Rookie of the Year Award: Geovany Soto
- NL Silver Slugger Award: Carlos Zambrano (P)
- 2008 Topps All-Star Rookie Team: Geovany Soto (C)
- NL Manager of the Year Award: Lou Piniella
NLDS vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
|1||Los Angeles Dodgers 7 Chicago Cubs 2||October 1||Derek Lowe (1-0) Ryan Dempster (0-1)||6:30 p.m.|
|2||Los Angeles Dodgers 10 Chicago Cubs 3||October 2||Chad Billingsley (1-0) Carlos Zambrano (0-1)||9:30 p.m.|
|3||Chicago Cubs 1 Los Angeles Dodgers 3||October 4||Rich Harden (0-1) Hiroki Kuroda (1-0)||10:00 p.m.|
- Jim McArdle: Living the Dream: An Inside Account of the 2008 Cubs Season, Triumph Books, Chicago, IL, 2009. ISBN 9781600781582
- Floyd Sullivan: Waiting for the Cubs: The 2008 Season, the Hundred-Year Slump and One Fan's Lifelong Vigil, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2010.