2022 Boston Red Sox
2022 Boston Red Sox / Franchise: Boston Red Sox / BR Team Page
Managed by Alex Cora
History, Comments, Contributions
Sandwiched around the 2022 All-Star Game, the 2022 Boston Red Sox lost three games by a combined total of 47 runs - the worst run differential over a three-game period by any team since 1900. In fact, one had to go all the way bac to the 1894 Louisville Colonels to find a team that had done worse. The streak included losses to the New York Yankees by scores of 14-1 and 13-2 on July 16-17, and an embarrassing 28-5 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays on July 22nd, in a game in which the Jays set a team record for runs scored and the Sox set one of their own for runs allowed.
The first half of the season was very much a Jekyll and Hyde experience for the BoSox: after going 7-7 through their first 14 games, they fell into an awful slump that saw them fall to 14-22 by May 17th, then, seemingly out of nowhere, they turned things around, as they had streak of 6, 7 and 6 wins in improving to 42-31 on June 26th. However, they then fell back into their earlier losing habits, as they won just 6 of their last 20 games before the break. By then, they were just 3 games above .500 and in danger of being caught by the surprising Baltimore Orioles, who had managed to lift themselves to the .500 level.
Awards and Honors
- All-Star: Xander Bogaerts, Rafael Devers and J.D. Martinez
- AL Silver Slugger Award: Xander Bogaerts (SS)
- Jimmy Golen (Associated Press): "Red Sox add Story, hope to build on surprising run to ALCS", Yahoo! News, March 30, 2022. 
- Jimmy Golen (Associated Press): "Re-signing Bogaerts, Devers the key for last-place Red Sox", Yahoo! News, October 6, 2022. 
- Tyler Greenawalt: "The Boston Red Sox's run differential over past three games is worst in MLB since 1900", Yahoo! Sports, Juy 23, 2022.