2022 Tampa Bay Rays
2022 Tampa Bay Rays / Franchise: Tampa Bay Rays / BR Team Page
Clinched Wild Card: September 30, 2022, At Houston Astros
Managed by Kevin Cash
History, Comments, Contributions
On September 15th, the 2022 Tampa Bay Rays fielded the first all-Latino starting line-up in major league history (excluding starting pitcher Shane McClanahan). In order, the line-up consisted of 3B Yandy Díaz (Cuba); RF Randy Arozarena (Cuba); SS Wander Franco (Dominican Republic); 1B Harold Ramirez (Colombia); DH Manuel Margot (Dominican Republic); LF David Peralta (Venezuela); 2B Isaac Paredes (Mexico); C René Pinto (Venezuela); and CF José Siri (Dominican Republic). This was done on Roberto Clemente Day and all nine players wore uniform number 21 in honor of Roberto Clemente. It was not a gimmick either, as the Rays then went on to defeat the Toronto Blue Jays decisively, 11-0, in a game with major implications for the postseason standings (the two teams were tied in their season series before the game, and within one game of one another in the wild card standings).
Awards and Honors
- All-Star: Shane McClanahan
- Associated Press: "Rays clinch AL wild-card spot; Astros get AL home-field edge", ESPN.com, October 1, 2022
- Jack Baer: "Rays make history with MLB's first all-Latino lineup on Roberto Clemente Day", Yahoo! Sports, September 16, 2022. 
- Adam Berry: "5 reasons the Rays dealt Meadows, recalled Lowe", mlb.com, April 5, 2022. 
- Adam Berry: "Rays field MLB's first all-Latino lineup on Clemente Day", mlb.com, September 15, 2022. 
- Adam Berry: "'First step' complete: Resilient Rays punch ticket to postseason", mlb.com, October 1, 2022. 
- Fred Goodall (Associated Press): "Confident Rays aiming to finally clear World Series hurdle", Yahoo! News, March 30, 2022.