2000 Korea Baseball Organization
The 2000 Korea Baseball Organization was the 19th Korea Baseball Organization season. The SK Wyverns played their first season and finished a distant last; just 7 years later, they would win the Korean Series. This year, the Series went to the Hyundai Unicorns for the second time in three seasons. Hyundai had an absolutely dominant season at 91-40-2, boasting the league leaders in average (Jong-ho Park), homers (Kyung-wan Park), RBI (Jae-hong Park) and wins (a three-way tie between Min-tae Chung, Sun-dong Im and Soo-kyung Kim.
The league had its longest in-season break to this point, a three-week hiatus due to the 2000 Olympics. The KBO sent an All-Star team, which picked up the Bronze Medal. The season almost had a longer break, as a unionization effort nearly led to a breakdown between owners and players. Over 100 players were let go, but stars and union leaders like Hae-yong Ma, Joon-hyuk Yang, Jin-woo Song and Jong-tae Park held firm and won some concessions without costing the league its season. It was the third effort to unionize the KBO and was the first lasting one - the role of superstars like Song (who would set a slew of career pitching records) and Yang (who retired as the all-time KBO hit and home run leader) proved crucial this time.
The KBO MVP was Kyung-wan Park of Hyundai, the first catcher to win the MVP in 17 years. He led the league with 40 home runs. The KBO Rookie of the Year was SK pitcher Seung-ho Lee, 10-12 with 9 saves and a 4.51 ERA, striking out 132 in 139 2/3 IP.
The following players won Gold Gloves, which in the KBO go to the best overall player at each position are not a defensive (only) award.
- P: Sun-dong Im, Hyundai Unicorns
- C: Kyung-wan Park, Hyundai Unicorns
- 1B: Seung-yeop Lee, Samsung Lions
- 2B: Jong-ho Park, Hyundai Unicorns
- SS: Jin-man Park, Hyundai Unicorns
- 3B: Dong-joo Kim, Doosan Bears
- OF: Ji-man Song, Hanwha Eagles
- OF: Byung-kyu Lee, LG Twins
- OF: Jae-hong Park, Hyundai Unicorns
- DH: Tyrone Woods, Doosan Bears
- Hyundai Unicorns, 91-40-2
- Doosan Bears, 76-57
- Samsung Lions, 69-59-5
- LG Twins, 67-63-3
- Lotte Giants, 65-64-4
- Haitai Tigers, 57-72-4
- Hanwha Eagles, 50-78-5
- SK Wyverns, 44-86-3
Playoffs: Samsung def. Lotte, 2 games to 1; Hyundai def. Samsung, 4 games to 0; Doosan def. LG, 4 games to 2
2000 Korean Series: Hyundai def. Doosan, 4 games to 3
- Average - Jong-ho Park, Hyundai .340
- Home Runs - Kyung-wan Park, Hyundai 40
- RBI - Jae-hong Park, Hyundai 115
- Steals - Soo-keun Jung, Doosan 47
- ERA - Dae-sung Koo, Hanwha 2.77
- Wins - Sun-dong Im, Hyundai; Soo-kyung Kim, Hyundai; Min-tae Chung, Hyundau 18
- Saves - Pil-jung Jin, Doosan 42
- Strikeouts - Sung-dong Im, 174
Sources include 2001 Baseball Almanac
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.