- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 165 lb.
- School Southern Arkansas University
Allard Baird became General Manager of the Kansas City Royals in 2000, when he replaced Herk Robinson. He had been the Royals' assistant GM in 1999-2000. During Baird's tenure, the Royals had three 100-loss seasons and finished above .500 only in 2003. He was responsible for trading away stars Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye. He was fired on May 31, 2006 and replaced by Dayton Moore.
In 2008 Baird was an Assistant to the GM of the Boston Red Sox. In 2011-2012 he held the position of VP/Player Personnel and Professional Scouting for the Red Sox. The title was shortened to VP/Player Personnel in 2013. He left the Sox after their World Series win in 2018 to join the New York Mets as Vice President and Assistant General manager of scouting and player development, working alongside newly hired GM Brodie Van Wagenen, a position that had been filled by J.P. Ricciardi under the previous regime. He was fired alongside Van Wagenen when new owner Steven Cohen took over on November 6, 2020.
Prior to joining the Royals front office, Baird was an assistant coach at Southern Arkansas University in 1985-1986 and head coach at Broward Community College in 1987-1988. He was then a minor league coach (1988-1989 Appleton Foxes) and scout and was responsible for signing Johnny Damon to his first pro contract.
|Kansas City Royals General Manager
- 2001: 9th overall P Colt Griffin - Marshall High School
- 2002: 6th overall P Zach Greinke - Apopka High School
- 2003: 5th overall OF Chris Lubanski - Kennedy-Kenrick Catholic High School
- 2003: 30th overall C Mitch Maier - University of Toledo
- 2004: 14th overall OF Billy Butler - Wolfson High School
- 2004: 29th overall P Matt Campbell - University of South Carolina
- 2004: 31st overall P J.P. Howell - University of Texas at Austin
- 2005: 2nd overall 3B Alex Gordon - University of Nebraska
- January 8, 2001 in a three team trade sent Johnny Damon and Mark Ellis to the Oakland A's for A.J. Hinch and Angel Berroa from Oakland and Roberto Hernández from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays
- June 25, 2001 traded Jermaine Dye to the Colorado Rockies for Neifi Perez
- December 19, 2001 traded Shawn Sonnier to the Chicago Cubs for Michael Tucker
- June 24, 2004 in a three team trade sent Carlos Beltran to the Houston Astros for John Buck from Houston and Mike Wood and Mark Teahen from the Oakland A's
- December 7, 2005 traded Chad Blackwell and Jonah Bayliss to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Mark Redman
- November 14, 2000 signed Ambiorix Burgos as a amateur Free Agent
- January 22, 2001 signed Raul Ibanez as a free agent from Seattle Mariners
- December 18, 2001 signed Chuck Knoblauch as a free agent from New York Yankees
- January 6, 2004 signed Juan Gonzalez as a free agent from Texas Rangers
- December 16, 2005 signed Doug Mientkiewicz as a Free Agent from New York Mets
- December 16, 2005 signed Mark Grudzielanek as a free agent from St. Louis Cardinals
- January 6, 2006 signed Reggie Sanders as a free agent from St. Louis Cardinals