Calvin Falwell Field at Bank of the James Stadium
(Redirected from Lynchburg City Stadium)
|Calvin Falwell Field at Lynchburg City Stadium|
|Merritt Hutchinson Stadium|
Opened as Lynchburg City Stadium in 1939, it is actually part of a two-stadium complex that was built together; the other hosts football. The New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers christened the baseball side in an April 11, 1940, exhibition game that - despite the ballpark's stated capacity - drew an estimated 7,000.
It has hosted various minor league teams in its long history. "Calvin Falwell Field" was prepended in August of 2004, honoring Calvin F. Falwell for returning baseball to the city after it lost a club amid 1966 racial strife. Falwell had served as president of the Lynchburg Baseball Corporation since its founding that year.
The stadium has had many major renovations since its inception in 1939, the first in 1978. The renovation included reconstructing the outfield fence, grandstand roof, grandstand screen and adding new lights. In 1981, a clubhouse was added to accommodate both the football and baseball stadiums.
In 2002 plans began for a $6.5-million renovation to Lynchburg City Stadium's concourse with the addition of seat back chairs, and two picnic areas. The renovation also included the addition of two new concession stands, eight luxury boxes, a new press box, arcade room, spacious bathrooms and a state-of-the-art scoreboard. Prior to the 2005 season, six new luxury boxes were added in addition to a state-of-the-art video board in right field.
Appomattox Court House is just 30 minutes from the ballpark.