1971 Pittsburgh Pirates
(Redirected from 1971 Pirates)
1971 Pittsburgh Pirates / Franchise: Pittsburgh Pirates / BR Team Page
Record: 97-65, Finished 1st in NL Eastern Division (1971 NL)
Clinched Division: September 22, 1971, At St. Louis Cardinals
World Series Champs
Managed by Danny Murtaugh
Coaches: Don Leppert, Frank Oceak, Don Osborn, Dave Ricketts and Bill Virdon
Ballpark: Three Rivers Stadium
History, Comments, Contributions
On September 1st, the 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates became the first team in history to field an all-black lineup. It consisted of 2B Rennie Stennett; CF Gene Clines; RF Roberto Clemente; LF Willie Stargell; C Manny Sanguillen; 3B Dave Cash; 1B Al Oliver; SS Jackie Hernandez; and P Dock Ellis. The line-up was not the result of a stunt, but was a genuine attempt by manager Danny Murtaugh to field his strongest line-up that day (regular third baseman Richie Hebner, who was not black, was not available). The team went on to win the 1971 World Series over the Baltimore Orioles with all of the aforementioned players getting significant playing time.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Roberto Clemente, Dock Ellis, Manny Sanguillen and Willie Stargell
- NL Reliever of the Year Award: Dave Giusti
- NL Gold Glove: Roberto Clemente
- "Pittsburgh Manager Says His Nine Black Starters Are Just Pirate", Jet, November 4, 1971, p. 51. 
- Nathalie Alonso: "The Pirates lineup that changed baseball", mlb.com, September 1, 2021. 
- Adam Berry: "Bucs fielded Majors' first all-minority lineup: Hall of Famers Clemente, Stargell among those to make history on Sept. 1, 1971", mlb.com, February 10, 2017. 
- Bruce Markusen: The Team That Changed Baseball: Roberto Clemente and the 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates, Westholme Publishing, Yardley, PA, 2006.
- Blake W. Sherry: "1971: Willie Stargell's Pivotal Season", in Cecilia M. Tan, ed.: Steel City Stories, The National Pastime, SABR, 2018, pp. 99-102.
- George Skornickel: "Characters with Character: Pittsburgh's All-Black Lineup", The Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Volume 40, Number 2 (Fall 2011), pp. 42-43.
- Washington Post: "Pirates slap Cards with clincher, 5-1", historic-newspapers.com, September 23, 1971
NL Championship Series (3-1) Pirates over Giants
World Series (4-3) Pirates over Orioles
AL Championship Series (3-0) Orioles over Athletics
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
Subscribe to Stathead Baseball: Get your first month FREE
Your All-Access Ticket to the Baseball Reference Database
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.