- Name: Maimonides Park
- GPS-able Address: 1904 Surf Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11224
- Ballpark Owner: City of New York
- Architects: Jack L. Gordon Architects
- Groundbreaking: 8/22/2000
- Minor League Baseball Teams: Brooklyn Cyclones (A+) 2021-present; Brooklyn Cyclones (A-) 2001-2020
- Class/League History: A+/South Atlantic League 2022-present; A+/High-A East 2021; A-/New York-Pennsylvania League 2001-2020
- First Professional Baseball Game: 6/25/2001; stadium debut of Class A-Short Season Cyclones
- Others Playing or Operating Here: New York University Violets (baseball)
- Previous Ballpark Names: MCU Park 2010-2021; KeySpan Park 2001-2009
- LF: 315 CF: 412 RF: 325
- Seats: 6,278
- Stated Capacity: 7,000
- House Baseball/Softball Record Attendance (as currently configured): 10,073, 9/7/2007
Maimonides Park in Brooklyn, NY, is the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones, the New York Mets' Double-A South Atlantic League farm team. It was also the Mets' 2020 and 2021 Coronavirus pandemic alternate training site.
Opened as KeySpan Park in 2001, it would become the first stadium hosting a short-season team ever to draw 4 million to one venue.
Its naming rights were sold to Municipal Credit Union after KeySpan Energy was sold. The name thus became MCU Park in 2010. After MCU didn't renew, Maimonides Medical Center took over in 2021. The medical center in turn derives its name from a Jewish rabbi, theologian and philosopher from the Middle Ages.
Two new New York City teams in two new New York City stadiums was not a coincidence but a compromise. The Mets and New York Yankees wanted nearby farm teams but vetoed each other's efforts. In 1998, NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani offered each MLB club a new farm-size stadium in exchange for one withheld veto. Both opened in 2001 for transferring New York-Pennsylvania League teams. The Mets bought the St. Catharines Stompers, built a ballpark at St. John's University, played 2000 there as the Queens Kings, and donated the playpen to SJU. The Yankees placed their team on Staten Island, playing in an existing college stadium during the interim season.
MLB's 2021 Minor League Reorganization raised the 'Clones and two other NYPL teams three levels while eliminating the Staten Island Yankees and the rest of the circuit from Organized Baseball.
Despite suffering the most Hurricane Sandy damage of any stadium in affiliated baseball, MCU was ready for its 2013 home opener - but the game was, ironically, rained out.
The ballpark appears in the movie Bottom of the 9th (2019). It features, on its outside concourse, a life-sized sculpture of Pee Wee Reese wrapping his arm around teammate Jackie Robinson, recreating a famous moment from Robinson's historic rookie season with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.
|Current ballparks of the South Atlantic League|
|North Division||South Division|
|Daniel S. Frawley Stadium | Dutchess Stadium | Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium
Maimonides Park | ShoreTown Ballpark
|Bowling Green Ballpark | First National Bank Field | Fluor Field at the West End | L.P. Frans Stadium |
McCormick Field | State Mutual Stadium | Truist Stadium
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.