Judy Johnson Field at Daniel S. Frawley Stadium
- Name: Judy Johnson Field at Daniel S. Frawley Stadium
- GPS-able Address: 801 Shipyard Dr., Wilmington, DE 19801
- Ballpark Owner: Riverfront Development Corporation (original owner Delaware Stadium Corporation merged with RDC in 2022)
- Architects: The Design Exchange
- Groundbreaking: 11/1/1992
- Minor League Baseball Teams: Wilmington Blue Rocks (A+) 1993-present
- Class/League History: A+/South Atlantic League 2022-present; A+/High-A East 2021; A+/Carolina League 1993-2020
- First Professional Baseball Game: 4/17/1993; stadium debut of Class AA Blue Rocks
- Others Playing or Operating Here: Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame
- Previous Ballpark Names: Legends Stadium 1993
- LF: 325 CF: 400 RF: 325
- Seats: 6,404
- Stated Capacity: 6,532
- House Baseball/Softball Record Attendance: 7,535, 8/19/2005
Judy Johnson Field at Daniel S. Frawley Stadium in Wilmington, DE, is the home of the Wilmington Blue Rocks, the Washington Nationals' South Atlantic League farm team. The Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame is also located at the stadium.
The team is named for the blue granite that lies along the Brandywine River. A decorative chunk outside the main entrance prompted one arriving fan to say, "That Blue Rock must be a first baseman - doesn't look mobile enough to play any other position."
Opened as Legends Stadium in 1993, the ballpark was renamed a year later for the Wilmington mayor who brought affiliated baseball back to the First State's largest city. The field is separately named for local Negro Leaguer William Julius "Judy" Johnson, who captained a team that included legends Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson. Main signage captures both names and a bronze statue of Johnson stands outside the ballpark's main gate.
Wilmington lost its original Blue Rocks to poor attendance in 1952. Today's Rocks christened Legends by beating Winston-Salem 6-5 with a four-run 9th.
Head Groundskeeper Steve Gold survived the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting.
|Current ballparks of the South Atlantic League|
|North Division||South Division|
|Daniel S. Frawley Stadium | Dutchess Stadium | Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium
Maimonides Park | ShoreTown Ballpark
|Bowling Green Ballpark | First National Bank Field | Fluor Field at the West End | L.P. Frans Stadium |
McCormick Field | State Mutual Stadium | Truist Stadium
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.