Dave Smith (smithda02)
David Stanley Smith
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 1", Weight 195 lb.
- School San Diego State University
- High School Poway High School
- Debut April 11, 1980
- Final Game June 8, 1992
- Born January 21, 1955 in Richmond, CA USA
- Died December 17, 2008 in San Diego, CA USA
Smith is the Astros' all-time leader in games pitched, making 563 appearances for the team (all but one in relief). He also saved 199 games for the Astros, second behind Billy Wagner, with his personal best of 33 coming in the team's 1986 division-winning season; he had six seasons of 20 or more saves for Houston.
Smith was a minor league pitching coach in the San Diego Padres organization from 1994-1998, and spent 2 1/2 seasons as their big league pitching coach from 1999 until the middle of 2001. He was a coach for the Spokane Indians in 1994, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes in 1995 and 1997, and Las Vegas Stars in 1998. He spent 1996 as the Padres' Roving minor league pitching instructor.
Smith died of a heart attack at age 53 in 2008.
- 2-time NL All-Star (1986 & 1990)
- 30 Saves Seasons: 1 (1986)