Waycross is located in southeastern Georgia, at the northern edge of the Okefenokee swamp, 75 miles northwest of Jacksonville, FL and 65 miles northeast of Valdosta, GA. In the 1950s, the Milwaukee Braves established their minor league training complex, "Bravesville", on a disaffected air force base outside the city and operated the facility until the mid-1960s. It was later used by the Kansas City Athletics for a couple of years.
Teams that have played here
- Waycross Machinists, Georgia State League (1906)
- Waycross Blowhards, Empire State League (1913)
- Waycross Grasshoppers, Georgia State League (1914)
- Waycross Moguls, FLAG League (1915)
- Waycross Saints, Southeastern League (1927)
- Waycross Bears, Georgia-Florida League (1939-1942, 1946-1955)
- Waycross Braves, Georgia-Florida League (1956-1958, 1963)
Persons who were born here
- Greek George, catcher
- Jon Shave, infielder
Persons who died here
- Stan Katkaveck, minor league catcher
- Mickey McGowan, pitcher
- Jim Mertz, pitcher
- Bob Smith, pitcher/infielder
- Daniel Papillon and Bill Young: "The Red Clay of Waycross: Minor-League Spring Training in Georgia with the Milwaukee Braves", in Baseball in the Peach State, The National Pastime, SABR, Volume 40 (2010), pp. 123-134.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.