(Redirected from John Henry Lloyd)
John Henry Lloyd
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 180 lb.
- Debut 1921
- Final Game 1929
- Born April 25, 1884 in Palatka, FL USA
- Died March 19, 1964 in Atlantic City, NJ USA
"I am honored to have John Lloyd called the Black Wagner. It is a privilege to have been compared to him." — Honus Wagner, quoted at Lloyd's Hall of Fame website
John Henry ("Pop") Lloyd was a Negro League shortstop, who was often considered an equal to his white contemporary Honus Wagner. He played for the Cuban X-Giants (1906), Philadelphia Giants (1907-1909), Leland Giants (1910), New York Lincoln Giants (1911-1913, 1926-1930), Chicago American Giants (1914-1917), New York Lincoln Stars (1915), Brooklyn Royal Giants (1918-1920), New York Bacharach Giants (1919), Columbus Buckeyes (1921), Atlantic City Bacharach Giants (1922, 1924-1925, 1931-1932), Hilldale (1923), and Harlem Stars (1931). He managed the Brooklyn Royal Giants (1918-1920), Columbus Buckeyes (1921), New York Bacharachs (1922), and Hilldale (1923).
"He looked like he was gliding over to the ball. You could hardly see his feet move." - Judy Johnson, from the book Blackball Stars
Most sources continue to list his year of death as 1965, but he actually died in 1964. An obituary appears in the April 4, 1964 issue of The Sporting News, and the Social Security death index confirms the year. The 2007 ESPN Encyclopedia also recognizes the change. The SABR website presently show it under Frank Phelps' log of Sporting News obituaries (1930-1991).
- ECL Pennant: 1 (1923)
- Baseball Hall of Fame: Class of 1977
Year-By-Year Managerial Record
|1921||Columbus Buckeyes||Negro National League||42-48||6th||Columbus Buckeyes|
|1923||Hilldale Club||Eastern Colored League||40-21||1st||Hilldale Club||League Champs|
|1924||Atlantic City Bacharach Giants||Eastern Colored League||36-32||4th||Atlantic City Bacharach Giants|
|1925||Atlantic City Bacharach Giants||Eastern Colored League||36-38||4th||Atlantic City Bacharach Giants|
|1926||New York Lincoln Giants||Eastern Colored League||22-31||5th||New York Lincoln Giants|
|1927||New York Lincoln Giants||Eastern Colored League||11-21||5th||New York Lincoln Giants|
|1928||New York Lincoln Giants||Eastern Colored League||21-17||3rd||New York Lincoln Giants|
|1929||New York Lincoln Giants||American Negro League||45-28||2nd||New York Lincoln Giants|
- 1906-1911: The Baseball Encyclopedia, Macmillan, 10th Edition, pgs 2795-2796
- 1912-1923: www.seamheads.com, from research by Gary Ashwill and Kevin Johnson
- 1924-1932: Shades of Glory, Hogan et al., pp. 390–393
- Connelsville (PA) Daily Courier, March 20, 1964, page 6: "John Henry Lloyd, Greatest Negro Player, Dies at 79"
- Wes Singletary: The Right Time: John Henry "Pop" Lloyd and Black Baseball, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2011.