1912 New York Highlanders
(Redirected from 1912 Highlanders)
|1912 New York Highlanders |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||William Devery and Frank Farrell|
|Baseball-Reference||1912 New York Highlanders|
Managed by Harry Wolverton
History, Comments, Contributions
The 1912 New York Highlanders played their tenth season in New York and their twelfth overall. It was the final season for the "Highlanders", before evolving exclusively into the "Yankees". The team finished with a total of 50 wins and 102 losses, coming in 8th, last place in the American League. The club was managed by Harry Wolverton. Home games were played at Hilltop Park.
|Boston Red Sox||105||47||.691||--|
|Chicago White Sox||78||76||.506||28|
|St. Louis Browns||53||101||.344||53|
|New York Highlanders||50||102||.329||55|
Logo and uniforms
For 1912, the curving "NY" migrated from the sleeve to its now-familiar spot on the left breast of the jersey (on some versions of the uniform, though not the one shown here). This was also the year the pin stripes were introduced.
By this season, the alternate nickname "Yankees" was in very common usage by the media. The New York Times for opening day 1912, reported that "The Yankees presented a natty appearance in their new uniforms of white with black pin stripes." The pin stripes were a one-year experiment, but they would return for good on the home uniforms in 1915.
The final game of the season, and the final game for the "Highlanders" at the Hilltop, was played on October 5th. The team moved to the Polo Grounds the following year. Hilltop Park was closed after the 1912 season and was demolished in 1914. It is now occupied by the New York - Presbyterian Hospital.