The YES Network is a regional cable television network. The name stands for Yankees Entertainment and Sports. The network was founded by YankeeNets, a business operations merger between the New York Yankees and the New Jersey Nets of the NBA. The channel was launched in March of 2002. The network airs roughly 120 Yankee games a year, the rest being on national networks (ESPN or FOX) or their over-the-air network.
In addition to Yankees games the network also shows games of the Brooklyn Nets, New York City FC, Staten Island Yankees, Ivy League and Big East Conference football. The YES Network also has had marketing deals that allowed them to create studio and highlight shows for the New York Giants of the NFL and Manchester United of the English Premier (Soccer) League.
The YES Network also airs a number of orginial programs. Some of these programs have included:
- Yankees Magazine - A weekly magazine format show based on the Yankees.
- Yankees Classics - Replays of memorable Yankees games from the TV era.
- Centerstage - A celebrity interview show hosted by Michael Kay.
- Yankeeography - A biography show featuring Yankees greats.
- YES' Ultimate Road Trip - A reality show featuring Yankee fans following the team throughout the season.
- Yogi and a Movie - A sports movie hosted by Yogi Berra.
- Mike Francesca - A simulcast of the popular Mike Francesca radio show.
The networks also aired replays of the Marv Albert Show, This Week in Baseball and the television series The White Shadow.