Red Smith (smithre03)
Willard Jehu Smith
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 8", Weight 165 lb.
- Debut September 17, 1917
- Final Game September 1, 1918
- Born April 11, 1892 in Logansport, IN USA
- Died August 23, 1970 in Bradenton, FL USA
Red Smith was a catcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1917 and 1918. He was listed for many years as having died in Indiana in 1972, but this was another man, named J. Walter Smith. The ballplayer Willard J. Smith had in fact died in Florida two years earlier.
This is Willard "Red" Smith, not to be confused with James Carlisle "Red" Smith, his contemporary, and two somewhat later players, Marvin Harold "Red" Smith and Richard Paul "Red" Smith, also a catcher.
- "Red Smith", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, September/October 2011, p. 1.