Leavenworth is located in eastern Kansas, on the Missouri River, across from Missouri, 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, KS. The city, the oldest in Kansas, is known for the presence of numerous penitentiaries and a United States Army Garrison, Fort Leavenworth.
Teams that have played here
- Leavenworth Soldiers, Western League (1886-1888)
- Leavenworth Soldiers, Kansas State League (1895)
- Leavenworth White Sox, Missouri Valley League (1903)
- Leavenworth Orioles, Missouri Valley League (1904)
- Leavenworth Orioles, Western Association (1905)
- Leavenworth Old Soldiers, Western Association (1906)
- Leavenworth Convicts, Western Association (1907)
- Leavenworth Braves, Western Association (1946-1949)
Persons who were born here
- Chet Brewer, pitcher
- Duff Cooley, outfielder
- Johnny Hetki, pitcher
- Jack Killilay, pitcher
- Walter McCoy, pitcher
- James Meagher, umpire
- Fred Raymer, infielder
Persons who died here
- Jack Marshall, pitcher
- Ruby Tyrees, pitcher
- Mike Welday, outfielder
Educational institutions located here
- Bob Rives and Tim Rives: "Pros vs. Cons: Federal Leaguers versus Federal Prisoners at Leavenworth", The Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Vol. 44, Number 1 (Spring 2015), pp. 63-68.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
Subscribe to Stathead Baseball: Get your first month FREE
Your All-Access Ticket to the Baseball Reference Database
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.