Thomas Henry Burgmeier
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 5' 11", Weight 185 lb.
- High School Cathedral High School (St. Cloud)
- Debut April 10, 1968
- Final Game August 29, 1984
- Born August 2, 1943 in St. Paul, MN USA
“Burgmeier showed me a fine arm... He throws hard, has a very fine curveball, and is always ready to pitch. I predict he’ll do an excellent job for [Angels manager] Bill Rigney, but I only hope he doesn’t do well against the Twins.” - Jim Rantz, Minnesota minor league employee, to the St. Cloud Times, May 16, 1968
Tom Burgmeier enjoyed a 17-year career in the big leagues as a reliever, making 745 appearances with just 3 starts between 1968 and 1984. Originally a member of the California Angels, he hit his stride once taken as an expansion pick of the new Kansas City Royals in 1969. In 1971, he posted a 9-7 record with a career-low 1.73 ERA and 17 saves in 67 appearances. He was flipped to the Minnesota Twins before the 1974 season and went 8-1 in 115 1/3 innings (57 appearances) out of the Twinkie pen in 1976. A free agent acquisition of the Boston Red Sox for 1978, Tom made his lone All-Star appearance in 1980, when he saved 24 games with a 5-4 record and 2.00 ERA in 67 games (99 innings). He finished his career with two seasons with the Oakland Athletics. All told, he rattled off a 79-55 record, 3.23 ERA and 102 saves in 1,258 2/3 innings.
He was a very good athlete and early in his career, he was used a few times as a pinch-runner and as an emergency substitute in the outfield.
After his playing days, he was a coach with the Royals in 1991 and again from 1997 to 2000. He was a pitching coach in the Royals' chain from 1992 to 1996 and again from 2003 to 2009, with a stint in the Baltimore Orioles system from 2001 to 2002.
- 1991 Bullpen Coach Kansas City Royals
- 1992 Pitching coach Eugene Emeralds
- 1993-1994 Pitching coach Rockford Royals
- 1995-1996 Pitching coach Wilmington Blue Rocks
- 1997 Video scouting coordinator Kansas City Royals
- 1998-2000 Bullpen Coach Kansas City Royals
- 2001-2002 Pitching coach Bowie BaySox
- 2003-2005 Pitching coach Burlington (IA) Bees
- 2006-2009 Pitching coach Omaha Royals
- AL All-Star (1980)