Joseph Christopher Cleary
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 9", Weight 150 lb.
- High School High School of Commerce (New York)
- Debut August 4, 1945
- Final Game August 4, 1945
- Born December 3, 1918 in Cork, Ireland
- Died June 3, 2004 in Yonkers, NY USA
In his only major league appearance, August 4, 1945 for the Washington Senators, Joe Cleary gave up seven runs while earning one out. His career ERA is 189.00, the highest among all players who recorded at least one out. He was replaced on the mound by Bert Shepard, who also was making his lone major league appearance. Forty nine major-leaguers were born in Ireland: forty seven were born in the 19th century, Cleary in the 20th, and P.J. Conlon in the 21st.
- Richard Tellis: Once Around The Bases, Triumph Books, Chicago, IL, 1998, pp. 99-106.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.