Robert J. Murphy
- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Height 6' 0", Weight 173 lb.
- Debut May 27, 1890
- Final Game August 25, 1890
- Born December 26, 1866 in Dutchess County, NY USA
- Died December 13, 1904 in Staten Island, NY USA
Bob Murphy was one of "Mutrie's Amateurs", as the New York Giants of 1890 were called by rival Buck Ewing. It was a year of three leagues, and a lot of the pros had gone over to the Players League. The manager of the Giants, Jim Mutrie, had moved to Staten Island, NY and found a couple of amateurs there, Murphy and Jack Sharrott. However, other Giant players were not truly amateurs.
Murphy pitched three games for the Giants that year, and twelve more for the Brooklyn Gladiators in one of the other competing leagues (the American Association in this case). In 1891 he pitched for the Albany Senators of the minor league Eastern Association.
He died young from tuberculosis.