Sportsman's Park II
The second Sportsman's Park was built on the site on Grand Avenue in St. Louis, MO occupied previously by the first Sportsman's Park in the 1870s. It was the home of the St. Louis Browns of the American Association and then of the National League from 1882 until 1892, when the team moved to Robison Field. The last four games of the 1888 World Series, featuring the Browns and the National League's New York Giants, were played here.
On May 5, 1901, the St. Louis Cardinals, the direct descendants of the 19th Century Browns, were forced to move back to their old ballpark for one game following a fire at Robison Field. The field, then called Athletic Park, was in terrible shape, with bicycle tire ruts everywhere, a result of the site now being used for bicycle racing.
The Park featured a two-story house in right field that was turned into a beer gardens but remained in play. Outfielders would sometimes need to go retrieve a live ball among the customers. In 1902, the new St. Louis Browns of the American League, created by the move of the Milwaukee Brewers to St. Louis, built a new Sportsman's Park on the site. This ballpark existed, with some modifications, until 1966.