Freeman Osee Schrecongost
Last name also spelled Schreckengost and Shrecongost
Also played as Ossee Schreck
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 180 lb.
- Debut September 8, 1897
- Final Game October 2, 1908
- Born April 11, 1875 in New Bethlehem, PA USA
- Died July 9, 1914 in Philadelphia, PA USA
Ossee Schrecongost gained fame, if not notoriety, as Rube Waddell's catcher and as his road roommate. In a day when road travel often required not only rooming together but actually sharing beds, Ossee insisted that a provision be included in Waddell's contract prohibiting him from eating Animal Crackers in bed.
Schrecongost died at the age of 39 from uremia, which is the toxic reaction following renal failure.
- Bill Nowlin: "Osee Schrecongost", in Bill Nowlin, Maurice Bouchard and Len Levin, eds.: New Century, New Team: The 1901 Boston Americans, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2013, pp. 144-153. ISBN 978-1-933599-58-8