Lewis J. Smith
- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Height 5' 10", Weight 165 lb.
- Debut September 7, 1882
- Final Game September 7, 1882
- Born 1858 in Baltimore, MD USA
- Died July 14, 1899 in Baltimore, MD USA
Lewis Smith is listed as simply L. Smith in most sources. However, an article in the Baltimore Sun from the time he played his only major league game as an outfielder for the American Association's Baltimore Orioles in 1882, gives his name as Lewis J. Smith. That bit of information led to a reference in the Harrisburg Patriot which gave partial birth information and the player's height and weight, and through later census records, to an obituary indicating his date of death.
- "Lewis Smith Found", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, November/December 2012, p. 1.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated:
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
This Month in Sports Reference
Find out when we add a feature or make a change
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.