Baseball Reference Bullpen maintenance is planned for Wednesday January 25th beginning around 10 AM ET. It will take 4-5 hours during which time the Bullpen will be in read only mode and at times probably inaccessible. This notice will be removed once maintenance is complete.
Elmer Smith (smithel01)
Elmer Ellsworth Smith
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 5' 11", Weight 178 lb.
- Debut September 10, 1886
- Final Game June 15, 1901
- Born March 23, 1868 in Pittsburgh, PA USA
- Died November 3, 1945 in Pittsburgh, PA USA
Elmer "Mike" Smith is # 67 on the all-time list for career on-base percentage. Of course, he played at a time when batting averages were high, but nevertheless he knew how to draw a walk. Not a lot of players can say they won 34 games in a season as a pitcher, and also rank in the top 100 of all-time for OBP.
His great years as a pitcher were in 1887-88, while his great years as a hitter were in the 1890's. As a pitcher he once led the league in ERA (1887) while as a hitter he was once third in the league in Adjusted OPS (1893).
He is not to be confused with several players named Mike Smith and another named Elmer Smith.
- AA ERA Leader (1887)
- 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 3 (1893-1894 & 1896)
- 100 RBI Seasons: 1 (1893)
- 20 Wins Seasons: 2 (1887 & 1888)
- 30 Wins Seasons: 1 (1887)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 3 (1887-1889)
- 300 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1887 & 1888)
- 400 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1887)