Edward Ellsworth Springer
- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Height 6' 2", Weight 187 lb.
- Debut July 12, 1889
- Final Game July 12, 1889
- Born 1867 in Oil Springs, ON CAN
- Died December 17, 1891 in Minneapolis, MN USA
Ed Springer, who pitched one game for the Louisville Colonels in 1889, was misidentified in the Baseball Encyclopedia. Originally listed as being from California, he was in fact from Detroit, MI. His brother was a well-known lawyer, Oscar Springer, and his family originally came from Ontario, where it is listed in the 1871 Canadian census, when Al was three years old. Springer died in 1891 in Minneapolis, MN, aged only 22. He is buried in Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis with his mother and sister.
- "Ed Springer", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, July/August, 2010, p. 2.