Capitol City Stadium

From BR Bullpen

Capital City Stadium, Columbia, SC, was the home of Columbia affiliated baseball from 1991 through 2004. After that, the Capital City Bombers of the South Atlantic League moved into a new ballpark in Greenville, SC. Built in 1927, "The Cap" was entirely rebuilt in 1991. The Shelby Mets moved into the original in 1983, returning affiliated baseball to town after a 22-season absence. In 1993, the Columbia Mets changed their name to Capital City Bombers – for the Doolittle Raiders, the World War II bomber crew that trained in Columbia before its historic raid on Tokyo. Professional ball returned in a new downtown stadium that opened in 2016. The Cap was optioned by a developer, but after several false starts the firm sold its option to another developer. Demolition was delayed so the structure could be classified as abandoned, thus earning the new owner a tax incentive. The city scheduled a reverse open house – "Closing Day" – April 4th, 2020, but had to postpone it due to the Coronavirus pandemic.