Al Smith (smithal03)
Alfred John Smith
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 5' 11", Weight 180 lb.
- Debut May 5, 1934
- Final Game September 15, 1945
- Born October 12, 1907 in Belleville, IL USA
- Died April 28, 1977 in Brownsville, TX USA
Al Smith pitched 12 seasons in the majors, having notable ups and downs. In his best years, he went 15-7 for the 1940 Cleveland Indians and 17-7 for the 1943 Cleveland Indians. However, the first half of his career was spent in the National League and he went to both the 1936 and 1937 World Series with the New York Giants.
In the minors as a young player in 1932 he was 17-8 for Winston-Salem/High Point. In 1939 he went 16-2 for Buffalo, and in 1946 he was 18-11 for Sacramento.
He is not to be confused with another, earlier, pitcher of the same name and a later position player of the same name.
- AL All-Star (1943)
- NL Shutouts Leader (1936)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 2 (1940 & 1943)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 3 (1936, 1941 & 1943)