Albert Wright Atkinson
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11½", Weight 165 lb.
- Debut May 1, 1884
- Final Game August 13, 1887
- Born March 9, 1861 in Clinton, IL USA
- Died June 17, 1952 in Elkhorn Township, MO USA
Al Atkinson pitched two no-hitters during his three big league seasons in the Union Association and American Association. He achieved his greatest fame the year following his final big league appearance, when he set a record with 307 strikeouts in the International Association in 1888. The mark stood until 1923, when Lefty Grove broke it (the league had changed its name several times by then, settling on International League).
Sporting Life usually spelled his name "Atkisson". After baseball, he was a carpenter in Springfield, MO.
- 20 Wins Seasons: 2 (1884 & 1886)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1884 & 1886)
- 300 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1884 & 1886)
- 200 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1884)