John Arnold Niggeling
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 170 lb.
- High School St. Mary's High School (Remsen)
- Debut April 30, 1938
- Final Game September 1, 1946
- Born July 10, 1903 in Remsen, IA USA
- Died September 16, 1963 in Le Mars, IA USA
Johnny Niggeling pitched nine seasons in the majors, posting a record of 64-69. During the war years, he was three times in the top ten in the league in ERA. He was also one of the ten oldest players in the league each year from 1940-1946. He was well-known for throwing a knuckleball.
Johnny was born in Remsen, IA, in northwestern Iowa. He is the only player through 2013 other than Joe Lotz born in Remsen. Johnny pitched for many years in the minors before coming to the majors as a regular. He won at least 159 games in the minors, often winning in double figures in a season.
After retiring, Niggeling ran a barber shop at a hotel in Le Mars, IA. He was found in his hotel room, a victim of suicide by hanging.
9/28/63 TSN obituary
- 15 Wins Seasons: 1 (1942)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 3 (1942-1944)