- School College of the Holy Cross
Dan Shaughnessy is a sportswriter based in Boston, MA who was the winner of the 2015 J.G. Taylor Spink Award presented by the Hall of Fame for meritorious contributions to baseball writing after a vote by the BBWAA. Shaughnessy received the award during induction ceremonies for the 2016 Hall of Fame class.
He began his writing career in 1977 as a beat writer covering the Baltimore Orioles for the Baltimore Evening Sun and the Washington Star. In 1981 he went back to his home town, joining the staff of the Boston Globe. He earned a national reputation as a sports columnist for the paper, in addition to his regular coverage of the Boston Red Sox and of the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association. He has also written a number of books on baseball and the Red Sox, notably The Curse of the Bambino (1990) and Reversing the Curse (2005) about the so-called curse that had prevented the Red Sox from winning the World Series after 1918, and its destruction with their 2004 World Championship. He also co-wrote the autobiography of Red Sox manager Terry Francona.
Shaughnessy has been a regular guest on various ESPN shows and a contributor to ESPN The Magazine.
- Kyle Clauss: "In Defense of Dan Shaughnessy, Baseball Hall of Famer: Love him or hate him, you have to respect the Curly-Haired Boyfriend.", Boston Magazine, December 9, 2015. 
Books by Dan Shaughnessy
- Terry Francona and Dan Shaughnessy: Francona: The Red Sox Years, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, New York, NY, 2013. ISBN 978-0547928173
- Dan Shaughnessy: One Strike Away: The Story of the 1986 Red Sox, Beaufort Books, New York, NY, 1987. ISBN 978-0825304262
- Dan Shaughnessy: The Curse of the Bambino, Dutton, Penguin Books, New York, NY, 1990. ISBN 978-0525248873
- Dan Shaughnessy: At Fenway: Dispatches from Red Sox Nation, Three Rivers Press, new York, NY, 1996. ISBN 978-0517701041
- Dan Shaughnessy and Stan Grossfeld: Spring Training: Baseball's Early Season, Houghton Mifflin Company, New York, NY, 2003. ISBN 978-0618213993
- Dan Shaughnessy: The Legend of the Curse of the Bambino, Paula Wiseman Books, Simon & Schuster, New York, NY, 2005 ISBN 978-0689872358 (A young readers version of The Curse of the Bambino)
- Dan Shaughnessy: Reversing the Curse: Inside the 2004 Boston Red Sox, Houghton Mifflin Company, New York, NY, 2005. ISBN 978-0618517480
- Dan Shaughnessy and Stan Grossfeld: Fenway, Expanded and Updated: A Biography in Words and Pictures, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, New York, NY, 2007. ISBN 978-0618737369 (originally published in 1999)